Saturday, September 15, 2007

From Beirut to Larnaca: The red dress saga

Almost everybody in the Middle East knows that we lost a lot during the summer war 2006…When I say we lost I don’t mean that Israel won the war…All I am saying is that we lost…we lost our confidence in our own country…

Fear was the best tourist this summer in Beirut… To the point that many have cancelled their wedding ceremonies in Beirut and re-arranged everything in Cyprus;
Among them my sister-in-law…

So, all the family was set to travel to Larnaca to attend her wedding…and I was the bride’s maid…with my red long dress to carry with me all the way from Harriri International Airport to Larnaca International Airport…

We arrived at the airport…of course as all Lebanese we have a problem staying in cues waiting for the security check…and suddenly another chaotic group enters the hall…

Guess who? Of course our neighbors!!!! The Israelis…

And of course as the Lebanese they haven’t filled the immigration papers so…everyone annoyed by it…sitting in corners or standing up filling the small white piece of paper in the halls of Larnaca International Airport…

Where are you Sayyed Hassan to see this??... Of course your divine missions have left you without the possibility of enjoying such pleasures…

So, out of the airport into the taxi to the hotel…

Tuesday morning…the wedding day…

Hairdresser first, I enter…I go out…my hair is ready…Nothing like in Beirut…

3:30 pm make-up time, I enter…I go out…I am ready…Oh nothing to be compared with my make-up artist in Beirut…

I curse all the leaders of the Middle East…

I have 5 minutes to dress up…we enter the church…that is divine!!!

Wednesday…Ayia Napa here we come…

The city of no worries!!! I wonder what could have happened to Cyprus if a certain group decided one day that it wanted to unite the island by force, by the use of military means!!! Shame on the Cypriots!!! Where is your resistance movement?

The city full of life!!! You walk on the streets, you read announcements: “cruise to Lebanon, Israel and Egypt”…Lucky the one who could do the trip all the way from Cyprus to these three destinations!!!

Soon, my vacation will be over and back to Beirut…to worry about the presidential election!!! What a waste of energy!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'''Where are you Sayyed Hassan to see this??... Of course your divine missions have left you without the possibility of enjoying such pleasures…'''

This is simply great.i often had those ironic moments in transfer waiting in airports. and wondered, what if...

!!!

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home