Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Peacemakers

I am reading a book on Peacemakers, People who changed the world. Jane Breskin Zalben chose 16 personalities that “were brave enough to try to make the world a better place”.
You can find in the book one page bibliography of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Mahatma Gandhi, Albert Einstein, Eleanor Roosevelt, Ralph Bunche, Mother Teresa, JF Kennedy, Anwar El Sadat, Cesar Chavez, Elie Wiesel, Martin Luther King, Jr, Anne Frank, The Dalai Lama, Wangari Maathai, Aung San Suu Kyi and Princess Diana.
What strikes me is that there is only one Arab personality. What does that say? Does it make sense now why we haven’t had peace in the Middle East for centuries? The first name that came to my mind was Philip Habib. Why wasn’t he mentioned in the book, then I said to myself aha yes because the author had chosen personalities that worked for peace AND inspired millions to take the same path.
Then again , I come back to my first reaction: We do not have Middle Eastern Peacemakers!!! We do not have people to inspire us, to empower us and to make us dare to dream about peace and harmony!! We only have Bin Ladens and Zarqawis that are pushing us to the wrong direction, to the dark side of humanity.
That is a scary thing!!

P.S. The book is entitled: “Paths to Peace: People Who Changed the World” by Jane Breskin Zalben, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home